Value Set is a collection of values. It validates the values entered by the user for a flex-field, report parameters or a concurrent.
The navigation path: System Administratorà ApplicationàValidationàSets
Why do we need value sets?
You do not always want a user to enter junk free text into all the fields.
Hence, Oracle Apps uses value set to validate that correct data is being entered in
the fields in screen.
When to defining Values for Value Sets
- After you register your Flexfields & report parameters, if you are using
independent or dependent value sets, you can enter values into each
corresponding value set using the Segment Values form.
- Values for the Value Sets, we are defining will be kept in the Oracle
Application Object Library tables.
How many Format Types the value set have
- Standard Date, Standard Date Time
- Date, Date Time
Is value set attached to all the fields that require validations?
Then where lies the usage of value sets?
Answer: Broadly speaking, value sets are attached to segments in Flexfields.
You can argue that value sets are also attached to parameters of concurrent
program(but in reality oracle treats parameters as Descriptive Flexfields)
Specify the List Type for your value set.
- Poplist - fewer than 10 values expected
- List of Values - between 10 and 200 values expected
- Long List of Values - more than 200 values expected
What is Security type in value set?
- No Security - All security is disabled for this value set
- Hierarchical Security :- any security rule that applies to a parent value also
applies to its child values.
- Non-Hierarchical Security :- a security rule that applies to a parent value
does not "cascade down" to its child values.
Value Set is associated with the following validations, which holds the key to the value sets.
Types of Validations:
- None: - Validation is minimal.
- Independent: - The data input is based on previously defined list of values.
- Dependent: - The data input is checked against a defined set of values.
- Table: - The data input is checked against values in a table.
- Special: - The data input is checked against a flex-field.
- Pair: - The data input is checked against two flex-field specified range of values.
- Translatable Independent: - The data input is checked against previously defined
list of values.
- Translatable Dependent: - The data input is checked against defined set of values.
How many Character Formatting Options have for value set?
Numbers Only (0-9)
- We cannot prevent users from entering a value that contains the radix character.
- Cannot be used in Translatable Independent and Translatable Dependent value sets.
Uppercase Only (A-Z)
- Here also we cannot use in Translatable Independent and Translatable Dependent value sets.
Right-justify and Zer0-fill Numbers (0001)
- If you have selected Numbers Only (0â€"9) flag, then it wont allow you to affect this flag.
- We are recommended to use this in Accounting Flex fields.
Minimum and Maximum Value Range
Your Minimum/maximum value may not be longer than the maximum size you specify for this value set. Once you specify a range of values, you cannot define a new valid value that falls outside this range.
The Minimum Value and Maximum Value fields can therefore allow you to create a value set with a validation type of None.
What are Look Ups
A LOOKUP is a specific list of values which can be set by a user. LOOKUPS have a 'type' and are either:
Access levels of Lookups and differences
- USER (where the user can add/amend/delete items)
- EXTENSIBLE (where the user can add or amend his own items, but cannot change any of the 'seeded' values)
- SYSTEM (where the user cannot do anything to the 'seeded' values)
LOOKUPs are used directly by forms in the system.
Global HRMS Manager > Other Definitions > Application Utilities Lookups.
Difference between Lookups and Value Sets
|S.no||Value Set||Look Ups|
|1||Value sets can be attached to parameters of a concurrent program||Lookups can't|
|2||Value Sets are almost never maintained by end users, with the exception of GL Flexfield codes. Value sets are usually maintained by System Administrators.||Certain types of Lookups are maintainable by the users too|
|3||Value sets can contain values that are a result of an SQL Statement. Hence it is possible to make Value Set list of values dynamic||On the contrary, Lookup Codes are Static list of values|
|4||We can do the Validation check in values set and value set has format type Char/varchar2/Number etc||No Validation Check in Look ups|
|5||In Value set we can insert duplicate values||Lookup has Lookup code and meaning so values are unique|
Significance of $FLEX$
$FLEX$: enables to match the prior segment with either value set name or segment name.
Let v2 be the value set definition of 2nd parameter and v1 be the value set definition for the first parameter then
In the value set definition of v2 = value $FLEX$.v1
Changes You Should Never Make
You should never make these types of changes (old value set to new value set) because you will corrupt your existing key flex-field combinations data:
. Independent to Dependent
. Dependent to Independent
. None to Dependent
. Dependent to Table
. Table to Dependent
. Translatable Independent to Translatable Dependent
. Translatable Dependent to Translatable Independent
. None to Translatable Dependent
. Translatable Dependent to Table
. Table to Translatable Dependent